Friday, January 3, 2014

Woke up today to find a small pond in my horse pen.  I left the water running in the horse tank all.night.long.  Argh!!

When I went to catch Bliss the smart pony utilized the new body of water to her advantage, calmly walking directly into the center of it and pretending to get a drink from the puddle.  All the while knowing that I wasn't going to slosh around in the mud after her.  The little turkey.

I did eventually catch her at the back of the pen.  For fun I walked her to a low spot and hopped on bareback (there are benefits to having short cowponies).  She was a little flummoxed at first, seeing as how this was our maiden voyage bareback.  She flicked her ears and trotted some, I flipped the lead rope from one side to the other to pretend that I had some sort of control.  When she neared the pond I had visions of her dumping me in the mud.  Smart pony that she is, I would not put it past her.

I saddled her and let her soak (aka left her standing tied) while I ran to town to take care of some errands.  I rode her out today down the turn-rows by herself.  This being the third time, I think, for us to ride out alone.  Bliss is a fantastically sensible and brave filly.  She proves time after time just how great her mind really is and she did so again today.  My plan was to be a passenger today.  Guide her as necessary but to stay out of her way for the most part and let her pick the speed.

She did quite a bit of long trotting (which is perfect and what I would have chosen myself, had I been making the speed decisions).  Her ears were up and her body relaxed.  She loped at times and when I needed to bring her down to a walk in order to cross a road she was right with me.  I hummed (signal for slowing down) and she obliged.

One of the fields runs behind the Wal-Mart.  The cotton stems left from harvest have snagged hundreds of stray plastic WM sacks resulting in a flapping Booger Graveyard.  Not for Bliss though, she trotted right through the pony-eaters not changing speeds or direction, simply lowering her head for a closer look.

When we were 1/2 mile from home I asked her to slow to a walk for a cool down.  She did so happily and did not break gait once.  I am so very happy with my filly :).











No comments:

Post a Comment